FRRO and Taxation Services for Expats in India

Living away from home is no easy job. And we understand the difficulties involved. A new city, a new country, a new work environment and to add to it – the language and culture difference – yes that is too much to handle. The Expats in India have good news though.

Gapeseed’s Expat Services are projected to ease out the Expats in India who are here for work or business and need someone to assist them with all the visa related documentation, registration for self and businesses, expatriate taxation, remittances etc. In this post, we will detail out about the FRRO and Taxation Services for Expats in India.

Wherever you travel across the world for business, it is always best to have up-to-date information about your destination. Be it about visa guidelines, expat’s foreign registration or other mandatory documentation related to stay or taxation, we provide solutions to all of these for Expats in India. It’s not advisable to be unaware or ignorant about the regulations or the services when travelling abroad or when traveling from foreign countries to India because that may affect your trip in more than one way. In this post we would be discussing about the basics terms and regulation of expat registration and how Gapeseed Consulting provides a complete gamut of services to expats in India.

Basics of Expat Registration

The Expats in India who are on Employment Visa (valid for more than 180 days) is required to get himself registered with concerned FRRO (Foreigners Regional Registration Officer) within 14 days of first arrival, the regulations are irrespective of the duration for which one is visiting. Even in other Visa types, if the Indian Visa has a condition for registration made by Indian Embassy on the Indian Visa and on Employment for less than 180 days, the Foreigners are required to be registered. Foreigners visiting India on other categories of long term Visa (valid for more than 180 days) including Business Visa would not require registration with the concerned FRRO if duration of his/her stay does not exceed 180 days on a single visit. In case a foreigner intends to stay for more than 180 days on a single visit he should get himself registered well before the expiry of 180 days.

Also, it is mandatory for all Expats in India to personally appear at the concerned FRRO office for obtaining any Visa related services.


Understanding Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO) and Documents required

The foreigner registration office is the primary agency to regulate the registration, movement, stay or departure of any Expats in India. FRRO is also the recommending authority for the extension of stay in India. Following are the documents required for Expat Registration:

You can download the Free Guide towards Expats Documentation here.


Gapeseed’s Expat Services

Gapeseed Consulting Services provides a full range of services to Expats in India. We have experienced professionals who are well versed, well traveled and experienced in the industry for providing expat related services. Our main objective is to reduce the hassle of foreigners visiting India and enabling them to focus on the purpose of the trip.

Our services to Expats in India include the following:


Foreign National Registration (FRRO Registration)

As discussed earlier, FRRO registration is a mandatory procedure when you decide to visit India from a foreign land. Gapeseed arranges for the registration with respective FRRO within the recommended timelines on arrival in India. All we need to initiate the process is the necessary documents required for the registration which is detailed above.


Expatriate Taxation

First and foremost we need to understand that expatriates does not include all the foreign citizens coming to India for employment, many of them are immigrants and not expatriates.

As per the Indian guidelines, the remuneration received by a foreign expats working in India is assess-able under the head ‘Salary’ if it is payable to him for services rendered in India as per the Section 9(1)(ii) of the Income Tax Act.

And this salary is considered liable to tax in India irrespective of the residential status of the expatriate employee and is also subject to TDS regardless of the place where the salary is actually received.

The Expatriate Taxation is managed two ways – through individuals and through the corporate who employ Expats in India. Gapeseed offers detailing to both the cases separately.

Please feel free to write to us to get a detailed recommendation document for managing the taxation for Expats in India. You can reach us through this form or call us.

For more information on FRRO and Taxation Services for Expats in India , feel free to reach us on, or call +91-9599444639/+91-9599444630

 More Newsletter

Social Security Systems for Effective Payroll Management

One India one Tax- GST

Save Tax through the following Tax Exemptions

GST Registration Procedure

Hire Gapeseed Consulting for M.I.C.E Services?